This position is a combined Scrum Master and Project Manager role. The amount of work in the Scrum Master role would be on the higher side. The role of the Project Manager is to plan, execute, and finalize projects of various sizes and complexities, which will implement strategic objectives of one or more business areas, according to strict deadlines, and defined budget. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Manager will also define the projects objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle, using proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to maximize the benefit of IT and Business investments.
As Scrum Master, you play a key role in the definition, development, implementation, and ongoing improvement of Agile practices (with an emphasis on Scrum) within the organization. You will facilitate sprint planning, retrospective, and daily activities related to stand-ups and sprint burn down; as well as maintain relevant metrics that help the team see and understand their progress during a sprint. In this role you’ll own and resolve identified impediments. You’ll help build an environment where continuous deployment/ improvement of the development process is the focus and everyone’s common goal is to deliver outstanding software as fast as possible to our customers. As Scrum Master you’re responsible for leading the continual Agile transformation and practices as well as promoting accountability and transparency across all levels of the organization.
Responsibilities Strategies and Leadership
- Responsible for management of a multiple Projects and or Large Programs for App Dev of high complexity, priority, and risk.
- Clearly defines the project scope and objectives.
- Oversee the development of the detailed business requirements for the project and ensures they address the business unit’s objectives.
- Develop a detailed estimate of the level of effort, schedule and budget necessary to successfully develop and deliver the solution meeting the requirements and quality expectations.
- Develop an initial plan to clearly define the project requirements and determine an appropriate solution design.
- Escalate problems as necessary to ensure awareness and seek assistance with resolution when necessary.
- Meet the project requirements by delivering a quality solution, on time, and within the planned budget.
- Create and manage all of the accepted project management deliverables including the project charter, project plan, budget, resource plan, risk plan, support plan, implementation plan and other deliverables as required
- Track, manage, and adjust the original plan as necessary to ensure successful delivery
- Communicate the requirements, solution design, and estimates to the project sponsor(s).
- Provide regular status reports to stakeholders, sponsors, the enterprise, and others involved in the project.
- Effectively coordinate with the various technology, business, and vendor teams to ensure the project’s success.
- Multi Year App Dev PM experience on large projects / program necessary
- Serve as a senior team member, responsible for facilitating the adoption, implementation and sustainability of Agile processes, principles, and practices
- Lead the scaling of Agile from team level to enterprise level
- Act as a change agent and as part of the team of Coaches leading and supporting teams and individuals in their Agile journey
- Make decisions and independently drive any aspect of Agile rollout at a team and management level
- Provide high-touch and hands-on team guidance, support, and coaching in close cooperation and collaboration across all roles and functions, to facilitate increasing maturity at a sustainable pace
- Actively build and contribute to the company’s Agile Community and develop Communities of Practice, mentor Agile practitioners
- Create training materials and provide training and coaching throughout the organization
- Support Agile teams in their development, playbook creation, and in establishing consistent best practices
- Collaborate with non-Agile team, educate and support them throughout transformation
- Define relevant metrics that help the program see how they are doing
- Inspire all stakeholders at any level in their Agile transition.
- Develop, coach, and mentor team members to advance their skills and career
- Build trust with the business [IT or other Divisions] and throughout the organization
- Perform ongoing assessments of the teams’ Scrum maturity to inform ongoing support decisions
- Advise on dependency management techniques between internal teams and third parties, release managers, or between Agile teams
- Quickly establish collaborative partnership with key stakeholders and build trust to ensure leadership buy-in across both Business and IT
- Become a strategic partner in organizational road mapping and structuring to drive increased ROI, greater adoption and higher transformation success Foster speed, innovation and encourage continuous improvement
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and skills related to project management.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of managing projects using an Project Management Life Cycle and creating lifecycle deliverables including detailed project, risk, and issue plans to ensure project goals are accomplished.
- Demonstrated advanced use of Microsoft Project, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Visio, and PPM.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to appropriate levels within the sponsoring business areas.
- Strong interpersonal skills with appropriate levels within the sponsoring business areas.
- Team Player: working well in a collaborative setting. Acts as a resource to colleagues with less experience.
- Flexible during times of change.
- Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines.
- Tenacious, persuasive, encouraging, and motivating.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to defuse tension among project team, should it arise.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments.
- Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity.
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
- Solid experience with JIRA
- 3+ years of experience as a Scrum Master, Product Owner or Agile Coach
- Experience working on mixed methodology program (Scrum interfacing with Waterfall from a dependency perspective)
- Experience in creating training materials and sharing knowledge at different levels
- Experience working as an Agile Coach / Scrum Master across multiple teams that are both local and remote
- Scrum Practices
- Proficient with common Agile practices
- Proven ability in building effective partnership with diverse groups in multiple locations/environments
- Aptitude for learning and using technology for both teaching and action research
- Able to garner respect throughout the organization at all levels
- Thought Leader – Challenge status quo and grow every day. Able to build trust and earn respect at all levels within the company
- Communicative and facilitative – Able to communicate well with all levels of the organization from Scrum team members to executives. Able to lead and demonstrate value-add principles to a team in a collaborative way and influence employees at all levels
- Assertive – Ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to, be a voice of reason and authority, make the tough calls and manage conflicts
- Enthusiastic – High-energy and inspire others
- Continuous Improvement – Continually honing ones craft, learning new tools and techniques to manage oneself and a team
- Managing with Metrics: Able to help leaders & teams define clear metrics and coach them to have a data driven approach for decision making
- Willing and able to quickly gain a high-level understanding of the technical and business domains of the Scrum teams
- Outstanding presentation and communication record (conference presentation, professional community events)
- Deep understanding of common Agile practices and better product envisioning and development practices
- Superb conflict resolution and consensus building skills
- Understanding of fundamentals of iterative development, software development processes and procedures
- PMP Certification preferred
- CSM/CSPO Certification or PMI-ACP preferred
- TFS and MS Planner experience is a plus
- Previous airline or travel industry experience a big plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of IT experience in eCom App Dev
- 4+ years direct work experience in a project management capacity for Application Development, including all aspects of process development and execution.
- Successful management of medium-large size project(s) / Programs with a Team of 10+ (direct or matrix) and/or a budget of $1MM.
- Experience in a big matrixed env – Fortune 500 companies
- Solid experience with JIRA
- 3+ years of experience as a Scrum Master for Application development, preferably with ecom/mobile, Product Owner or Agile Coach
- Experience working on mixed methodology program